Friday 10 May 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend



THE NUTSHELL:
Vampire Weekend's 3rd full length LP since their brilliant 'Contra'. Is this any better?



TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW:


1. Obvious Bicycle Track Rating: 5/5
Remarks: From the starting few seconds of this song, I have alredy knew this is a far run away from 'Contra'. As bad as that sounds, it is actually brilliant. This track in particular really shows Vampire Weekend's growth of maturity since their last LP and it is a well pu together piece that really draws you in to the album. 

2. Unbelievers Track Rating: 4.5/5
Remarks: This track is really inspiring actually, with a twist of really good music. Ezra sings about equality amongst the people that is religous and not and how both are sinners but one is not more superior than the other. Great piece.

3. Step Track Rating: 5/5
Remarks: The second single that was dropped by Vampire Weekend in March and has been one of my favourite songs of this year since then. Great ballad, really. Nothing like what the band has done before. It's new. It's enlightening  It's conventional. It's good.

4. Diane Young Track Rating: 4/5
Remarks: Di-ane Young, dying young. I didn't really get the song till I actually got that. Great feel good song with a particularly fierce execution. A bit witty with a slight taste of snobbiness. Exhilarating.

5. Don't Lie Track Rating: 5/5 *ALBUM'S TRACK TO REMEMBER
Remarks: Seriously, this is pure magic to me when I listened to it. The moment when Ezra reached his lower register in the second verse, I actually felt how far Vampire Weekend has pushed themselves in this track. Sounds crazy, but I got a weird taste of The Beatles from this and I am loving every second of this 3 minute and a half piece.

6. Hannah Hunt Track Rating: 5/5
Remarks: "Though we live on the US dollar, You and me, we got our own sense of time." This song probably carries the most signifigance to Ezra having trying to perfect this song since the production of Vampire Weekend's first LP. Lyrically condensed. One of the tear jerkers of the album alongside 'Step'.

7. Everlasting Arms Track Rating: 4.5/5
Remarks: A hint of 'Contra'. Could easily be the B-side of 'Bryn'. Sounds like a tamer well put together of Fun.'s 'Some Nights'. 

8. Finger Back Track Rating: 4/5
Remarks: The attitude of 'A-Punk' is back in a more sophisticated manner. Like what Vampire Weekend do best, use the most positive sound to the most negative meaning. This is the embodiment of exactly that.

9. Worship You Track Rating: 4.5/5
Remarks: The verse got me stunned, the progression drew me in, the climax rejuvenated me. That might be an over-exaggeration, but nevertheless, a real great accessible alternative to modern day music.

10. Ya Hey Track Rating: 3.5/5
Remarks: Wasn't really jumping about for this track. Reminded me a lot of 'The Kids Don't Stand a Chance' but not as good. Quite depressing really. Just decent.

11. Hudson Track Rating: 3.5/5
Remarks: I really love the haunting sound to this track. Sound very much unlike anything Vampire Weekend has done. However, it gets boring towards the end.

12. Young Lion Track Rating: 4.5/5
Remarks: This track gave me a good farewell to the album. Love the harmonies and that quirky piano playing. Just pretty. Vampire Weekend chose simplicity as their outro and executed it to perfection. 



ALBUM SCORE:


OVERALL: 4.5/5

So guys, let me know what you think. Feedback! And what should I review next. Thanks =)

No comments:

Post a Comment